Sunday, January 25, 2009

Barcelona Nights

I recently saw Woody Allen's most recent film, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which tells the story of two American tourists in their mid-twenties spending the summer of a lifetime in one of Spain's most dynamic and intriguing cities. Throw in a dashing Spaniard and his off-centered ex-wife, and you have a recipe for a love story Woody Allen could only tell, as evidenced by the film's trailer.

While this was not one of my favorite Woody Allen films (personally I think Match Point was his last big moment of genius). I am enchanted by the Catalan charms of Barcelona, and am reminded of my trip there nearly four years ago. The movie highlighted some of Barcelona's most famous attractions: Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, Gaudi's Home, and of course the rich nightlife and restaurant culture. I yearn to go back. I have to go back. If not for the patatas bravas, spanish wine, and serrano ham.


Although it may be a little bit before I can venture back to Spain, I am fortunate enough to be able to indulge in some delicious Spanish cuisine at La Paella, a restaurant that has been a staple of Los Angeles for many years, but I only recently discovered it a few months ago.

From the minute you enter La Paella, it's as if you have stepped back in time to Old World Spain. There are lace curtains on the windows, the restaurant is cozy and intimate, and the food is as authentic as you can get. I recommend the spanish omlette and patatas bravas as tapas starters, the paella for an entree, and a delicious pear soaked in red wine for dessert. And of course, we can't forget the Sangria.


Until we meet again dear Barcelona, I will settle good Spanish cooking right around the corner at La Paella.

No comments: