Saturday, January 3, 2009

A little taste of Mexico in the heart of LA

I haven't been to Mexico, unless you count Cabo San Lucas.  Mexico has been high on my list of places to visit, and considering it's not that far away from California, it's a wonder why I haven't been there already.  But I digress.

There are tons of wonderful Mexican restaurants in the LA/OC area - Taco Mesa, El Cholo, Viva Fresh...but when you want a kitschy bar with the best tequila in town, head over to El Carmen.


El Carmen is hard to miss, with it's bright neon sign illuminating 3rd Street.  Enter the bar and you are greeted by posters of vintage mexican comics, luchadores, and bamboo fans.  It's a little escape from the hustle and bustle that is the daily grind.
One thing that El Carmen is most famous for is their extensive tequila collection.  Now, I'm not a big tequila fan myself, but their blood orange margaritas and tequila infused shrimp are to die for.

But don't take my word for it - make your way over to El Carmen to experience it for yourself.





No comments: